A DC Superior Court Judge has ruled that DreamHost, a webhosting company, must turn over its data to “help” the Trump administration figure out who participated in the protests on inauguration day. DreamHost is the web hosting company used by the website disruptj20.org. The judge ruled that the company must hand over all data that shows who visited the website. As would be predicted, the folks on the left have suddenly found concern for muh rights to privacies while the folks on the right have conveniently forgotten such pesky things as rights.
The ruling, if upheld by the Supreme Court (which I have little doubt this is headed to), could set yet another in a long string of ‘dangerous precedents” of government invasion of privacy in the name of muh securities.
Don’t worry, though, the judge assures us he will make sure the gubmint doesn’t capture any data from “innocent” users, only the data from people the government deems as being not innocent. Trust me, I’m with the government and all I want is your browsing history. Sounds not creepy at all.
A District of Columbia Superior Court judge on Thursday approved a government warrant seeking data from an anti-Trump website related to Inauguration Day protests, but he added protections to safeguard “innocent users.”
Chief Judge Robert Morin said DreamHost, a Los Angeles-based web-hosting company, must turn over data about visitors to the website disruptj20.org, which is a home to political activists who organized protests at the time of Donald Trump’s inauguration as U.S. president in January.
Morin, who will oversee review of the data, said the government must explain what protocols it will use to make sure the data of “innocent users” is not seized by prosecutors.
The U.S. Justice Department said it sought the records connected to the site amid concerns that it helped facilitate the planning of protests on Inauguration Day in which more than 200 people were arrested for rioting and vandalizing businesses in downtown Washington.
DreamHost resisted the request, saying the scope of the warrant was too broad and trampled on the rights of 1.3 million visitors to the site, many of whom were simply exercising their First Amendment rights to express their political views.
The Justice Department last week proposed amending the scope of its warrant to exclude the IP addresses of website visitors and limit the search only to records from July 1, 2016 to Jan. 20, 2017.